Saturday, April 23, 2011

Avdentures

The thing about adventures is they are so unpredictable. You can make plans but you can't plan the outcome.
Whenever I travel alone to places overseas I don't have much of a plan. I like to land somewhere, find a room ans see what I feel like doing the next day. After all if you've never been to a place before how do you know how you are going to respond to it?
Sometimes I would have a few places in mind to visit or someone I wanted to meet. When I arrived though it was a matter of feeling it out.
Sometimes I would know that I was in a place I wanted to explore properly and that it may take several trips and a lot of time. Bali and India were like that. Other times I would know that I just wanted to get the hell out. Saigon comes to mind.
Other adventures took me on an inner journey and although challenging were always worth the effort in order to learn from the experience and grow as a person. They humbled me in many ways too.
How have your journeys contributed to your sense of self, to your understanding of the world and your place in it?
I have found that even the most negative experience can be turned into a positive if I learned something from it.
Recently someone told me that I should spend my nest egg on travel and GET A JOB! What they failed to understand is: that writing is a job. You are self employed when you start out. It's difficult, solitary and requires perseverance, discipline, patience, persistence, skill learning and experience. And the courage to expose oneself in many ways. And to make do with no income for a long time living only on your hard won resources. That's another adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment